Latest Version of Organic Blocks Not Available

Home Forums Technical Theme Support STAX Theme Latest Version of Organic Blocks Not Available

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey
    Participant

I installed the new Organic Stax themes for a new website I want to create. After the installation of the theme, it also installed Woo Commerce and version 2.0.2 of the Organic Blocks bundle. However, WordPress shows there is an update available for version 2.0.3 and shows a message that states: “There is a new version of Organic Blocks Bundle available. View version 2.0.3 details. Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.” So if the update is not available from within WordPress, how can you access it?

Also, in a previous post you highlighted something about needing to download the Gutenberg theme… I’m confused. How can you have two themes running at once. Please explain.

Emily Morgan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. The Blocks Bundle notification you mentioned implies that you may not have applied and activated a license key for the plugin, which can be added within the Organic Blocks section within your WordPress dashboard. Once you apply and activate the license key, you should then see an update available for Organic Blocks Bundle within the Plugins section in your dashboard. Next to the Organic Blocks Bundle plugin, you should see a link that says “Update Now” which you can click to update the plugin to the latest version, 2.0.3.

There seems to have been a misunderstanding regarding Gutenberg. Gutenberg is not a theme, it is the new WordPress editor, which is automatically integrated within your site when using the updated WordPress versions. The Gutenberg editor utilizes “blocks” as a new way of building pages, which is the main idea behind STAX theme. STAX is a block-based theme, utilizing the new Gutenberg editor.

I hope that makes sense, please let me know if I can assist with anything further. Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jeffrey
    Participant

Emily, I am beyond frustration attempting to use your new Stax Theme. While I understand how to edit within a block, it is NOT at all clear how to create a site using your Stax theme. After installing your Stax theme in a brand new WordPress install, I went to see how the site looks when going to the live URL. It shows your design of the Stax theme all on one page. But I do NOT se where any of the content in your design is located. Then when I started to create a new page and added the Hero Block, I went to see it in preview. But instead of showing that page, it showed your Stax theme page and added the Hero block I created to the very bottom of that page. Based on David’s post that the Stax theme is by far the best and easiest theme you’ve ever created, based on my experience thus far it appears the most difficult. It would be best for you to provide a getting started documentation to show and explain step by step how to get started with your new Stax theme. Thank you.

Jeffrey
    Participant

Please refer the the previous post when answering the following. In an email you wrote me recently you suggested adding a Gutenberg Block plug in. There are over 20 plugins available, which one do you recommend? N

Why would I need such a plugin when the WordPress install already provides a way to create content using blocks? And especially if your Stax Theme includes a block editor? (This issue is above and beyond the issues I’m experiencing in my previous post.

Jeffrey
    Participant

Oh, and one more thing in addition to the previous two posts – how do I add an image to my profile in Organic Themes? Right now as you can see my avatar is a green and white design. But when I went into my profile settings I do NOT see where you can upload an image.

David Morgan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffrey,

We sincerely apologize for the delay. We have completed the theme documentation here, https://organicthemes.com/document/stax-theme/

Additionally, there has been an update to the STAX theme that resolves some issues people were experiencing with the setup wizard. We recommend updating the theme to version 0.9.1.

Regarding the Home page:

1. Navigate to Appearance > Editor within the WordPress admin.
    2. If the options panel is not visible on the right side of the editor, click the “Gear” icon in the top right corner to reveal the panel.
    3. Click on the blocks on the page you wish to edit, the block options will be revealed in the right side options panel.
    4. You may move and edit the blocks and sections as you desire.
    5. Save your changes. This will update the page template.

Please Note: The demo content on the Home page was added directly to the Home page template. Therefore, you will not be able to edit the home page demo content using the default page editor within the WordPress admin. You must edit the Home page demo content within the WordPress Full-Site Editor.

Regarding the plugins: The only required plugin is the Organic Blocks plugin for STAX (which is bundled with the theme). However, it is recommended the other plugins are installed as well for a successful import of the demo content — WooCommerce, WooCommerce Blocks, Jetpack, and Gutenberg.

Regarding your Organic Themes avatar: This can be updated using the Gravatar service from WordPress, https://en.gravatar.com/

You will just need to ensure the email you’re using for Organic Themes matches the email you have assigned in Gravatar.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again for bearing with us!

Jeffrey
    Participant

David, Thank you for your detailed reply. I’m now able to work on the site with the Stax theme.

However, I’m confused about the use of templates with this theme. When working on the page from within the editor in beta mode, I notice the template in use at the top. Is that how you choose which template you want to work with for the page?

How do you add an organic themes block to the page and place it between two blocks that are above and below?

When creating a new page, how do you select the organic theme block(s) you want to use? And how if any difference in setting up the navigation menu in Stax than other themes?

Thank you in advance.

David Morgan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffrey,

The templates in the full-site editor refer to the WordPress template hierarchy, which can be referenced here, https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/

The full-site editor is meant for modifying the global theme layout and design. With the exception of the home page, the full-site editor is not intended for the purpose of adding content.

It sounds as though you may be trying to use the full-site editor to build all your page content. However, the page and post editor should still be used for the purpose of adding most content.

However, for example, if there is a block you wish to be appear on all of your posts, such as a featured image and title, you could add the featured image and title blocks to the “Single Post” template within the full-site editor. However, the rest of the content blocks in the post should be added using the page editor under Posts > Add New.

I hope this helps clarify the usage of the editor.

When creating a new page, you should be able to quickly search all available blocks when adding content. Entering “Organic” in the blocks search field will return all Organic Blocks, and you may then select from the list of blocks, depending on what kind of content your are creating.

As for the navigation, the STAX theme utilizes the Header Block, which has been added to the header template part. And it may be modified by selecting the Header Block within the full-site editor, and changing the navigation options for the block on the right. I’ve attached a screenshot for reference.

I hope this helps. Let us know if there is anything else.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeffrey
    Participant

David, OK.. now it is making some sense. My understanding is you can go about creating pages and posts using the block editor and you can add Organic Themes Stax blocks onto the pages and posts. Is that right?

Here is what I’m NOT understanding. How to design the home page? After installation of the Stax theme, it appears as if the home page contains a series of blocks about the Stax theme. Am I supposed to delete these blocks and add new ones for my content?

Also, when I click on the icon box (or even add a new block with the icon box), I’m confused about how to change the icon image. The URL states it is in an image folder, but these images are NOT in my WordPress media library. The top menu has a replace link but it goes to the media library that does NOT currently contain the icon images. Plus, the right sidebar does NOT show the image or a way to replace it. So, how can you switch the image?

Also, your documentation on the website about the Organic blocks shows multiple variations of the icon box. Where is that option in the block editor for the home page? I do NOT see the various options and cannot figure out how to add the special code your site allows visitors to copy. Please explain.

Thank you in advance.

David Morgan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffrey,

No problem, I’ll be happy to help.

1. The Home page blacks may be edited in the full-site editor by navigating to Appearance > Editor within the WordPress admin. The home page is the only page in which the content is edited within the full-site editor, since the home page content is “baked” into the template.

2. The icon images are referencing the images from our demo, so they are not loaded into your media library and consuming your server space. You can replace any of the icons by uploading your own icons to the media library. If you wish to download the icons from the theme demo so you can upload them to your media library, we have made the icons available here, https://organicthemes.com/stax-icons/

3. I’m not entirely sure I understand the question. But each variation of the icon block in the demo can be copied to your clipboard by clicking the “Copy Block” button. Then, you can simply paste the icon block(s) into your page editor.

If you would like to copy to the icon blocks on the home page, you can navigate to Appearance > Editor in the WordPress admin, locate the blocks in the editor, and copy them directly from the home page template.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need more clarification.

Thanks!

Jeffrey
    Participant

David, OK I made a lot of progress and was able to use icons I have in my library and replace the icons in the blocks.

As for creating content for the home page, am I supposed to delete the blocks in the editor that came with the Stax theme and replace them with one or more of my own blocks?

Jeffrey
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to ad this question to my previous post. When creating content for the home page using the Stax theme, how could you choose which variation you want for a particular block, such as the icon or testimonial blocks? Your website demo for the Stax Theme provides a page for all the blocks, and another page for a particular block that shows several variations and the code to use.

However, I do NOT see a fast and easy way to either choose the variation to use when using the display editor or to add the code in a particular block using the code editor. The code editor contains code for the entire page, and it is not easily found where to add the code in between where one block ends and another block begins.

Please explain how to select the variation for a particular block you want to use when adding that block to the home page.

Thank you in advance.

David Morgan
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffrey,

For the home page, you can do either: Delete the blocks in the editor, or replace the content within the blocks with your own content. The home page layout is really just meant to be a starting point, and you can change the layout, colors, fonts, and blocks as you see fit.

As for the block variations, the easiest way to use the block variations in the demo is to simply copy them directly from the demo page, then paste the block directly in the editor. For instance, on the Callout Block page in the demo (https://stax.organicthemes.com/blocks/organic-blocks/callout-block/), click the “Copy Block” button beneath Variation 1.

This copies the block variation to your clipboard. Then, simply paste the block into the block editor. Keep in mind, you do NOT need to paste the block within the code editor. Just paste it into the default block editor, and the block variation should then appear on your site exactly as it does within the demo. Then, you can modify the block to fit your needs.

I hope this clarifies the block variations. Please let us know if there is anything else.

Thanks!

Jeffrey
    Participant

David, I’m beginning to really enjoy the Stax theme. I’m using it to create a site for my client, as well as one for my new venture.

Nonetheless, please excuse my ignorance about using block variations (per our communication exchange above), but I’m NOT fully understanding where to put the block variation code that I would be copying from your block documentation.

You say “simply paste the block into the block editor. Keep in mind, you do NOT need to paste the block within the code editor. Just paste it into the default block editor, and the block variation should then appear on your site exactly as it does within the demo. Then, you can modify the block to fit your needs.” But where exactly are you saying to paste it?

I do NOT fully understand what you mean by “the block editor.” Please share a short video showing what and where exactly you are referring to when using one of the 5 variations for the testimonial block? Thank you.

Emily Morgan
    Keymaster

Hello, we apologize for the delayed response time. The “block editor” David is referring to is the main (Gutenberg) editor in which you add content within a page – the main page editor. For example – if trying to copy “Variation 1” from the following page: https://stax.organicthemes.com/blocks/organic-blocks/callout-block/

You would click on the “Copy Block” button, the go to the page editor within your dashboard, in the page you’d like to edit. Click on a new line within the page editor, and right/double click to “Paste” the block.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if we can further clarify. Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Emily

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.